Heartfailurematters.org is an educational website available in 10 languages, developed by cardiologists, nurses, primary care physicians and patients from the Heart Failure Association of the ESC.
It highlights lifestyle adjustments that enable patients with heart failure to maintain their quality-of-life. Designed for people with heart failure, their families and care givers, the website attracts over 2.6 million visitors per year.
Users also include doctors and nurses, who find it helpful as a tool to provide practical information to patients.
This short video will give you a brief tour of the website.
Innovative and user friendly
Visitors get comprehensive, practical information on living with heart failure and how to cope with drugs, devices and their diagnosis.
The site includes captivating animations, videos, patient stories, useful downloadable tools, frequently asked questions, polls and quizzes.
Anna, an animated guide, helps users navigate the site.
Come to our Facebook page and share your own views and experiences with other patients, families and caregivers.
We are grateful to our industry sponsors for their financial support of this website.
Available in 10 languages
Developed by experts of the Heart Failure Association
A core group of cardiologists, nurses and patients manage the evolution of the website, keeping it up to date and accurate.
- Kenneth Dickstein (Norway), President of the Heart Failure Association (2002–2004)
- Ewa Anita Jankowska (Poland)
- Stefan Stoerk (Germany)
Core group members
- Loreena Hil (United Kingdom)
- Marta Izabela Kaluzna-Oleksy (Poland)
- Ekaterini Lambrinou (Cyprus)
- Alejandro Recio Mayoral (Spain)
- Frans Hendrik Rutten (The Netherlands)
- Maggie Simpson (UK)
- Anna Stromberg (Sweden)
- Luka Vugrac (Croatia)
Papers on Heartfailurematters.org
Throughout the years, the core group has published related data and recommendations in various European Society of Cardiology journals.
European Heart Journal
- Eur Heart J. 2017 Oct 7;38(38):2861-2862. doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehx571. "Heartfailurematters.org"
European Journal of Heart Failure
- European Journal of Heart Failure 2017 Nov;19(11):1447-1454. doi: 10.1002/ejhf.917. Epub 2017 Sep 4.
"'heartfailurematters.org', an educational website for patients and carers from the Heart Failure Association of the European Society of Cardiology: objectives, use and future directions"
Wagenaar KP, Rutten FH, Klompstra L, Bhana Y, Sieverink F, Ruschitzka F, Seferovic PM, Lainscak M, Piepoli MF, Broekhuizen BDL, Strömberg A, Jaarsma T, Hoes AW, Dickstein K.
- European Journal of Heart Failure 2015 Dec;17(12):1310-6. doi: 10.1002/ejhf.413. Epub 2015 Oct 1.
"Effectiveness of an interactive platform, and the ESC/HFA heartfailurematters.org website in patients with heart failure: design of the multicentre randomized e-Vita heart failure trial"
Wagenaar KP, Broekhuizen BD, Dickstein K, Jaarsma T, Hoes AW, Rutten FH.
- European Journal of Heart Failure (2011) 13, 115–126 doi:10.1093/eurjhf/hfq219
"Self-care management of heart failure: practical recommendations from the Patient Care Committee of the Heart Failure Association of the European Society of Cardiology"
Mitja Lainscak, Lynda Blue, Andrew L. Clark, Ulf Dahlstro M, Kenneth Dickstein, Inger Ekman, Theresa McDonagh, John J. McMurray, Mary Ryder, Simon Stewart, Anna Stromberg, and Tiny Jaarsma.
European Journal of Cardiovascular Nurses
- Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2008 Mar;7(1):1. doi: 10.1016/j.ejcnurse.2008.01.001.
"Heart failure matters"