Next EACVI TTE exam: Take it from anywhere!
No need to travel anymore. Take your exam online, from your computer/tablet, at home or office.
The examination is designed to be completed in two sections with a 10-minute break between the two sections.
You will be able to start the first part of your exam at anytime between 13:00-16:30 CET.
About the TTE exam
The goals of certification are to protect patients from undergoing transthoracic echocardiographic examinations performed by unqualified persons and to set a European standard for competency and excellence in this field.
The benefits of certifying in EACVI TTE:
- Certification in TTE gives credibility and professional legitimacy to an individual by demonstrating his/her competency.
- The certification process identifies qualified practitioners of transthoracic echocardiography, enhancing their professional image.
- European certification tests the competency of an individual to perform, interpret, and report routine transthoracic echocardiographic studies unsupervised.
- Certification in TTE is not a compulsory or regulatory certificate of competence or excellence. Individuals' rights to report and sign clinical studies in individual countries remain to be defined by national laws and regulations.
- Sonographers (technicians) and doctors of all disciplines can apply for certification in TTE.
Take your EACVI exam online - What you need to know
For the first time, EACVI offers the possibility of taking the exam online. Here is everything you need to know in order to participate.
What is this new online format?
EACVI wants to provide you with the safety and convenience of an online platform, while retaining the integrity and quality of an on-site supervised exam.
The exam is:
- offered everywhere in the world
- identical in content, format and on-screen experience to previous on-site exams delivered on tablets
- taken on your own device (computer or tablet) and monitored by a human proctor online through ProctorU®
What equipment do I need?
You must verify that your computer meets the requirements before you register for the EACVI TTE exam. If this is not the case, you will not be able to take the exam.
You will need:
- a strong and stable internet connection
- a webcam, speaker and microphone
We highly recommend that you check all of the system requirements available here.
We also recommend that you test your equipment while you are on that page to verify you have the necessary equipment to take the exam.
How can I register for this exam?
It is a two-step registration process
- Start your registration with EACVI
- Complete your registration with ProctorU®
Start your registration with EACVI
After having verified that your equipment meets the requirements, you can start your registration with EACVI.
You will need to complete a pre-exam questionnaire and pay the exam registration fee.
When you finish, you'll receive an email from ESC with your invoice to confirm your payment.
Complete your registration with ProctorU®
Once you have registered with EACVI and pay your exam fee, you will get an email with a link to complete your registration with ProctorU®.
You will need to create a ProctorU® account. Then at the pre-defined exam date, you will be able to choose the time slot you would like to take the exam. When you finish, you will receive a confirmation email.
What can I expect on the exam day?
You can find more information about what to expect on the examination day below and also on ProctorU® website.
Before the exam session begins
- Fix any issues you may encounter on your computer. All issues must be resolved before your appointment time
- Close all browsers and applications not needed for the exam
- Gather the documents you will need to identify you (passport, ID document with photo)
- Make sure your exam environment meets the requirements:
- your room is quiet and well lit
- your are alone in the room
- your workspace is clear from all materials and unauthorised supports
- there are no sounds from music or television around
- Make sure you are dressed appropriately, with your face visible to the proctor
Check-in and identification process
- Log in to your ProctorU® account at your appointment time
- Complete the authentication steps, which include showing your ID to the proctor. The name on your ID must match the name provided during the registration process
- Follow the proctor instructions. You will have to:
- Give access permission to your computer screen for monitoring purposes
- Use your camera to show a 360-degree view of your room
- If everything goes well, the proctor will let you start your exam
The check-in and identification process can take approximately 5 to 10 minutes
During the exam
Your entire exam will be recorded by ProctorU® and monitored by a human proctor.
- During the exam, the proctor will monitor you (via the camera) and your computer screen to ensure you follow all exam procedures
- You must be visible to the proctor at anytime of the exam session. No breaks are allowed (only the 10-minute break between the 2 exam parts)
- You can interact with the proctor by speaking to him/her or using the chat option
- You are not allowed to take notes on paper during the examination
- You are only authorised to have a 'whiteboard' to help you during the examination. This whiteboard will be erased in front of the proctor at the end of the exam.
The exam policies are:
- Don't use any unauthorised materials, including mobile devices, prewritten notes or books
- The use of any recording equipment is strictly prohibited
- Don't communicate with anyone other than the proctor
- Speaking aloud during the exam is strictly prohibited
- You cannot be out of camera view.
- Taking pictures, screenshots or trying to copy/paste any element of the exam content is strictly prohibited
- You must behave in an appropriate manner. Any conduct that the proctor may deem vulgar, offensive, pornographic, obscene, abusive or criminal are strictly prohibited
Suspicious actions are flagged in the online proctoring system and will be reported to the ESC.
If the proctor detects any suspicious activities or movements, he/she could terminate your exam session at any time and your exam will be invalidated and your fee won't be refunded.
Any irregularity in relation to the ESC Online proctoring Examinations policies and rules mentioned above can lead to sanctions as described in the Online proctoring Examination Terms & Conditions.
If I have technical issues?
If you experience a technical problem during the test, notify the proctor by speaking to him/her or via the chat.
If you get disconnected or if you lose your internet connection momentarily, you will automatically be reconnected.
If you are unable to reconnect or speak to the proctor, you can call ProctorU® for assistance.
To obtain certification, candidates must succeed in both of the steps below:
First Step: Theoretical part - Exam (online)
Candidates who are successful in the examination will be entitled to proceed with the practical skills assessment.
Second Step: Practical part - e-Logbook.
Candidates must submit an e-Logbook of 250 transthoracic clinical cases they have performed.
Theoretical part - Exam
The theoretical examination is usually held twice a year.
The examination is composed of multiple choice questions (examinees must select the best answer out of five possible choices) divided into two sections:
- Reporting: 50 questions on TTE cases with displayed echoes - 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Theory: 75 questions - 1 hour, 50 minutes
The examination is in English.
A 10-minute break is included between the two sections.
To be successful, a candidate must pass both sections of the written exam (reporting and theory). The passing scores for each section are established after each exam within the TTE subcommittee based on statistical performance on individual questions and on the average level of scores taken from the respective examinations.
Results of the written examinations are sent to your email address registered on your MyESC account in the two months after the exam is sat.
Appealing the Exam
Candidates who have comments or concerns about an Examination question should contact the ESC. The relevant certification committee will review all comments, concerns and suggestions made by Candidates. These comments or concerns must be logged on the Examination day with the proctor or at the latest before Candidates received their Examination results.
- After having received your results:
If you believe that an incorrect result has been given to you, you may lodge an appeal by sending to the ESC exam administration an official letter within eight days of receiving your scores, using the ESC contact us form. The result of such an appeal may be a higher grade, a lower grade, or no grade change. In no circumstance will you be entitled to a fee refund nor damages.
The ESC exam administration and relevant certification committee will reply within four weeks.
Reply from the ESC exam administration and relevant certification committee is final. You agreed to this during the exam registration process by accepting the ESC exam's 'terms and conditions'.
Appeals are free of charge.
Registration closes 15 days before the examination with no exceptions.
Not an EACVI Silver Member yet? Subscribe today and save up to €122**
- Become an EACVI Silver Member for €156 (or €78 if you are under age 40 or in training)
- Benefit from the exam registration member fee (€360 instead of €560)
- Save up to €122!**
- Enjoy all the EACVI Silver Membership benefits, including an online subscription to the European Heart Journal - Cardiovascular Imaging (EHJ-CI), unlimited access to EACVI webinars and congress resources, discounts on EACVI congresses and courses, and much more. Join and save now.**
** Compared to standard fee for non-members and including the EACVI Silver Membership fee.
I want to know more about the EACVI Silver Membership.
|Fee Types||Online Fees|
Standard/EACVI Regular Member
EACVI Silver Member
Fellow EACVI (FEACVI)
*To benefit from member fees you must be a validated member before registering for the exam. This fee is only available for Silver Members - for further information please go to the membership page.
**To benefit from EACVI Fellow fees you must have a validated EACVI Fellowship
before registering for the exam. This fee is only available for EACVI Fellows.
***Please note that the resit fee is reserved only for candidates who have sat and failed the exam in the past, and cannot be used by candidates under any other circumstances.
****This fee will apply only if it is the candidate's third attempt at the exam and the second resit in the last five years (i.e. since your first exam attempt). In all other cases, the resit fee will apply if the candidate failed the exam once or failed to logbook in the last five years.
If you are eligible to the 2nd Resit fee please contact Exams registration
If candidates are not in this five-year restrictive period, the full price will apply.
NEW: Before paying, candidates must complete a questionnaire in which they identify their supervisor and provide information on their training.
Please note that the supervisor does not need to be EACVI certified. Candidates who are looking for a supervisor can refer to the list of TTE certified practitioners.
Payment and General Conditions
All registration fees are quoted in Euros (€) and include national applicable VAT. Payment in any other currency will not be accepted.
Registration fees are based on the date of receipt. The prices indicated are only applicable if both registration form/request and payment are received before the registration deadlines; otherwise, the higher registration fee will be applied.
Registrations will be acknowledged by email upon receipt of payment and a valid candidate email address (make sure your My ESC profile is updated and ensure that no third party email address is linked to your registration).
Cancellation Policy Conditions
If a participant wishes to cancel his/her registration for the certification exam they should contact us.
Please take careful note that the cancellation policy on refunds is as follows:
|Weeks before Exam||% Refund|
|Up to 6 weeks (before exam)||90%|
|4-6 weeks (before exam)||50%|
|Within 4 weeks||0%|
Please note that a 'no show' is not considered a cancellation. If you do not attend the exam without giving forewarning of your absence and without proof of good reason (unforeseen circumstances - such as a death in the family, serious accident of the candidate...) no refund will be allowed.
Should a candidate not attend the exam for whatever reason, no further claims for reimbursement or waiving of fees can be made. Similarly no right to further claims or waiving of fees will arise should the ESC be obliged to alter the exam proceedings.
By registering for the exam, each candidate waives his/her rights to claim any compensation from the ESC. The organiser cannot be held liable for any hindrance or disruption of exam proceedings arising from political, social or economic events, or any other unforeseen incidents beyond their control.
Under no circumstances will the ESC be liable for indirect damages or costs.
Registration of a candidate entails acceptance of these conditions.
There are many excellent books on echo: some examples are listed below. In addition to those listed, there are many small basic texts which are a useful introduction to the subject.
- A.E. Weyman, Principles and Practice of Echocardiography, 2nd ed. 1994, Lea & Febiger.
- H. Feigenbaum, Echocardiography, 5th ed. 1994, Lea & Febiger.
- C. Otto, The Practice of Clinical Echocardiography, 4th ed. 2012, Elsevier Saunders.
You can also visit the EACVI educational area.
This section includes information about education-related matters such as:
- Key reference library articles that have been judged fundamental documents to guide medical practice in the field of echocardiography
- EACVI echo webinars (live, online seminars)
- Educational and preparatory courses organised by, or in collaboration with, the EACVI
EACVI textbooks about echocardiography and an ESC textbook of imaging
Please refer to the FAQs for further general information on the certification process.
For any other information, please contact us.
Second step: e-Logbook
The main elements of the logbook are:
- Signed supervisor letter documenting the training and review of studies undertaken by the candidate.
- 250 summary sheet cases assessed by candidate's supervisor.
- Please note that cases must be collected from one year before to one year after the written exam and must cover only 12 consecutive months.
- Each patient may be present only once in the logbook. It is not allowed to add multiple studies of the same patient.
- Candidates are not asked to submit the full reports for these particular cases, although they may be requested by the EACVI graders and/or EACVI certification committee. Thus candidates are asked to keep this information available.
- If you are having problems with the PDF template, please create an Excel sheet with exactly the same column titles, and use this instead. Don't forget to include the first page signed by your supervisor.
- 6 TTE cases following requirements defined by the certification committee.
- The cases must be anonymous: no patient name or candidate name should be visible. Nevertheless, it is important to be precise with others details, such as the age and sex of the patient.
- All these cases must have been under the care of the candidate and accompanied by the original clinical reports that the candidate wrote in their place of practice.
- Several measurements should be included to indicate the workings and outcome of each case. Findings in the report must by supported by relevant measurements and Doppler-derived data.
- A comprehensive conclusion should be included.
Reports are judged on completeness and accuracy, meaning the reports should match the uploaded images, and there should be no errors of interpretation or omission.
The eLogbook can be submitted in one of the available languages:
Spanish / Swedish / Turkish
* Submitted reports must be accompanied by English translations.
Do remember to select the correct language when submitting your logbook. For example, if some of the logbook is in English, but the reports are in Hungarian, please select 'Hungarian' as the language.
If any candidate needs an extension for their logbook submission date, they must request this with a signed letter of explanation from their supervisor. The request must be submitted before the deadline of their logbook submission and cannot be granted in arrears. All requests should be directed to the certification office.
Please note that the reason for an extension must be important: extensions are not granted for minor issues, including poor organisation.
Results of the complete certification process are sent by email within three months of submitting the e-Logbook.
Failure to comply with any of the above requirements will require the candidate to start the whole process from the beginning.
Appeal to the Logbook
Candidates who fail the full certification process (logbook section after having passed the exam) may raise an appeal to the EACVI certification team. Please contact us.
The appeal procedure for the re-evaluation of a logbook is free of charge and does not guarantee a pass after this second review. The appeal decision made by the committee is final.
Failing the certification programme will require the candidate to start the whole process from the beginning.
Candidates who have successfully completed the certification process have been awarded a five-year certification.
To retain the respective certification, candidates must apply for recertification from six months before to six months after the certification expiration date.
During this time, candidates who are eligible for the recertification will receive an automatic email every three months to apply for recertification. This email is sent from the My ESC email address. All candidates will be reminded as the deadline approaches, but it is the candidate's responsibility to ensure that the recertification is submitted in a timely manner.
Click here to consult the recertification requirements.
Certified individuals in TTE
Find below the list of professionals who are certified by the EACVI in TTE.
Discover who they are, where they come from and benefit from their experience!
The EACVI certification is valid for five years.