ESC Board Member for Working Groups
Prof. Silvia Giuliana Priori, MD, PhD, FESC, Italy
EHRA Past President, Member of EP-Europace Editorial Board, EHJ-Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapy Editorial Board and European Heart Journal Editorial Board.
The 15 Working Groups are the scientific backbone of the ESC
Primarily dedicated to research and education, they contribute to:
- The organisation and preparation of ESC Congress, as well as scientific meetings, courses and symposia in specific areas of expertise.
- Promote, design, coordinate and organise research in their specialty
- Produce numerous field focused studies, registries, position papers, consensus documents and reviewing of ESC Clinical Practice Guidelines.
- Disseminate scientific knowledge to bring the benefit of translational research to practising physicians
- Gather and exchange information regarding research and related activities within the Working Group and with interest to members of the Working Group.
- Organise Teaching Workshops
- Recommend the establishment of ESC Task Forces to the Committee for Practice Guidelines and Policy Conferences to publish appropriate guidelines and recommendations and to set up Study Groups to discuss and publish issues of contemporary importance to the Working Group.
All Working Groups follow ESC statutes and participate in the mission statement of the ESC which is: To reduce the burden of cardiovascular disease
Discover the ESC Working Group that gets to the heart of your subspecialty in the cardiovascular field – they are networks that will make a difference to your research, your practice and your ongoing medical development.
Working Groups Internal Governance
The ESC may create Working Groups for the study and advancement of particular subjects related to the heart and the vascular system. The creation or dissolution of a Working Group is decided by the Ordinary General Assembly of the ESC upon proposal of the ESC Board.
The internal governance of the ESC Working Groups is detailed in the ESC Working Groups Governance Procedure, an ESC Board approved document.
The present document is currently valid and approved by the ESC Board on 11 December 2019, with minore revisions approved by the ESC Management Group on 28 January 2022.
Table of contents
Article 1 – Form & rationale
Article 2 – Purpose and means
Article 3 – Structure, roles & responsibilities
Article 3.1 Overall structure
Article 3.2 Roles & responsibilities
Article 4 – Nominating Committee (NC)
Article 4.1 Composition of the NC
Article 4.2 Role of the NC
Article 5 – Elections
Article 5.1 – Turnover rules
Article 5.2 – Chairperson-Elect elections
Article 5.2a Chairperson-Elect eligibility criteria
Article 5.2b Chairperson-Elect election process
Article 5.3 – Ordinary nucleus member elections
Article 5.3a Ordinary nucleus member eligibility criteria
Article 5.3b Ordinary nucleus member election process
Article 5.4 – Exclusion process
Article 5.5 – Replacements of nucleus members
Article 6 – Working Group membership
Article 6.1 – Working Group ordinary members
Article 6.2 – Working Group ordinary members with voting rights
Article 7 – Working Groups Operating Business