This certification process is for professionals specialising in heart failure. It aims to assess the knowledge base for heart failure which is set out by the Heart Failure Specialist Curriculum.
This is an excellent milestone for HFA Members to enhance their career path.
Heart failure certification proves to your profession that you have achieved a certain level of competence.
Take your HFA exam from anywhere
Taking the HFA exam is ultra convenient.
There's no need to travel!
Take it online, from your computer, at your home.
What are the benefits of HFA certification?
Heart failure cardiologists require specialist knowledge to help them deliver optimal patient care. The HFA knowledge-based certificate shows that the candidate has achieved an advanced level of competence in the heart failure field. Successful candidates will receive a certification of completion of the knowledge-based component of the Heart Failure Curriculum.
Next HFA exam
The next exam will take place online on 28 October 2022.
Individual registration is open until 12 October 2022.
Registration is managed on a first come, first served basis and is closed as soon as exam capacity is reached, and at the latest, 15 days prior to the examination, with no exceptions.
The examination is designed to be completed in three hours with no break.
|Fee Types||Online Fees (including 20% VAT)|
|HFA Regular Member*
|HFA Silver or Gold Member*
Not a member? Join now
*To benefit from HFA Gold / Silver Member fees you must be a validated Gold / Silver Member before registering for the exam. For further information, please visit the membership page.
**Please note that the resit fee is strictly reserved and applied for candidates who have sat and failed the exam in the past.
Please note that healthcare companies or third-party agencies cannot use a delegate’s “My ESC account” or create a delegate “My ESC account” for registering their delegates. This will result in the cancellation of the registration of your delegate. This is Individual Registration only.
Candidate confirms that this is a purchase 'by myself' as an individual, and the billing address is correct. Candidate understands that after payment has been made, changes in the invoice details will not be possible.
- Only HFA Members can take the exam. Join the Heart Failure Assocation.
- You must be a doctor with national board certification in cardiology (diploma) or a doctor in cardiology specialist training (fellows).
Take your HFA exam online - what you need to know
What is this online format?
The HFA wants to provide you with the safety and convenience of an online platform while retaining the integrity and quality of an on-site supervised exam.
The exam is:
- offered everywhere in the world
- identical in content, format and on-screen experience to previous on-site exams delivered on tablets
- taken on your own device (computer) and monitored by a human proctor online through ProctorU®
What equipment do I need?
You must verify that your computer meets the requirements before you register for the HFA exam. If this is not the case, you will not be able to take the exam.
You will need:
- a strong and stable internet connection
- a webcam, speaker and microphone
We highly recommend that you check all of the system requirements available here.
We also recommend that you test your equipment while you are on that page to verify you have the necessary equipment to take the exam.
- The examination is held once a year
- The examination is in English
- The duration of the written examination is 3 hours
- The questionnaire is compiled by the HFA Certification Committee and consists of 100 multiple-choice questions (MCQs) with five options, based on the single best answer (no negative marking)
- Questions are based on and will cover the Knowledge Base outlined in the Specialist Heart Failure Curriculum
How to prepare for the examination?
- Read the Heart Failure Specialist Curriculum to determine the exact scope of what you need to know
- Use the HFA Online Educational Modules to help cover the topics
- Read the Oxford Textbook of Heart Failure
- Read the ESC Heart Failure Guidelines, position papers and consensus documents
- Test yourself with sample questions from past HFA Certification exams
The exam is marked electronically and the results are verified and checked by the committee.
Results are sent by e-mail within two months after the exam date.
Candidates who have comments or concerns about an examination question should contact the ESC via the Contact Us form. The relevant certification committee will review all comments, concerns and suggestions made by candidates. These comments or concerns must be logged on the examination day with the proctor or at the latest before candidates received their examination results.
- After having received your results:
If you believe that an incorrect result has been awarded to you, you may lodge an appeal by sending an official letter to the ESC exam administration within 8 days of receiving your scores, using the Contact Us form. The result of such an appeal may be a higher grade, a lower grade, or no grade change. In no circumstance will you be entitled to a fee refund nor damages.
The ESC exam administration and relevant certification committee will reply within four weeks.
Any reply from the ESC exam administration and the relevant certification committee is final. You agreed to this during the exam registration process by accepting the ESC exam delivery Terms and Conditions.
Appeals are free of charge.
- All registration fees are quoted in Euros and include national applicable VAT.
- Payment in any other currency will not be accepted.
- Registration will be acknowledged by e-mail (within 10 days) upon receipt of payment and a valid candidate email address (make sure your My ESC profile is up-to-date and ensure that no third party email address is linked to your registration).
If a participant wishes to cancel his/her registration for the certification exam he/she should contact us.
Please take careful note that the cancellation policy on refunds is as follows:
|Weeks before the exam||% Refund|
|Up to 6 weeks before the exam||90%|
|6 to 4 weeks before the exam||50%|
|Within 4 weeks before the exam||0%|
Please note that a "no show" is not considered a cancellation.
If you do not attend the exam without giving forewarning of your absence and without proof of good reason (unforeseen circumstances - such as a death in the family, serious accident involving the candidate...) no refund will be allowed.
In the unlikely event that the HFA cancels the exam, the full registration fee will be refunded. However, the HFA is not liable for any cost incurred by the cancellation of accommodation and travel arrangements.
By registering for the exam, each candidate waives his/her rights to claim for any compensation from the HFA. The organiser cannot be held liable for any hindrance or disruption of exam proceedings arising from political, social or economic events or any other unforeseen incidents beyond their control.
In no event will the HFA be liable for indirect damages or cost. Registration of a candidate entails acceptance of these conditions.
List of certified candidates
Find below the list of professionals who are certified by the HFA.
The HFA certification is valid for life.