Every two years the ESC begins an exciting journey that will result in the election of a new Board. As a learned society, the democratic election process is integral to the ESC’s success. It ensures the expertise, passion and perspectives of eligible candidates from any of its 57 member National Cardiac Societies drive the ESC forward and keep it focused on what’s important for all of our members.
Following ESC Board approval, ESC Nominating Committee Chair Prof. Stephan Achenbach announced the timelines for the ESC 2024 Elections during the Ordinary General Assembly on 28 August 2023. The call for candidates opens on Monday 2 October 2023 and will close on 27 November 20231.
The election process concerns positions on the ESC Board 2024-2026, ESC Nominating Committee 2024-2026 and ESC Audit Committee 2024-2028.
The open positions
Elected board positions
- 1 position as President Elect
- 1 position as Secretary/Treasurer
- 3 positions as Vice Presidents
- 6 positions as Councillors
Candidates standing for the available Board positions must be endorsed by their own National Cardiac Society and one other ESC Constituent Body. For eligibility criteria please read Profiling of Board positions.
- 12 positions as Nominating Committee members: 6 to represent the National Cardiac Societies and 6 to represent the ESC Associations, Councils and Working Groups
- 1 position as Audit Committee member, representing the Associations, Councils and Working Groups
Candidates for the Nominating Committee or Audit Committee need to be endorsed by their own National Cardiac Society or by an Association, Working Group or Council, depending on whether they apply for a position to represent National Cardiac Societies or Associations, Councils and Working Groups.
The call for candidates closed on 27 November 2023.
The call for the 6 positions as Nominating Committee member representing Associations, Working Groups and Councils as well as the call for the position as Audit Committee member representing Associations, Working Groups and Councils has been extended to 4 December 2023. All applications and supporting documents must be received before 12:00 CET (noon) on that day.
Candidates interested in standing for election must supply:
- Letters of endorsement
- For candidates applying to one of the elected Board positions: a letter of endorsement from the applicant´s National Cardiac Society as well as at least one letter of endorsement from another ESC Constituent Body
- For candidates applying as Nominating Committee Member: a letter of endorsement from the applicant´s own National Cardiac Society or from an Association, Working Group or Council depending on whether they apply for a position representing the National Cardiac Societies or the Associations, Working Group or Councils
- For candidates applying as Audit Committee Member: a letter of endorsement from an Association, Working Group or Council
- A short CV as well as a letter of motivation which outlines the reason for applying and what contribution to the ESC they expect to make. Candidates applying to Board positions are invited to refer to the profiling of Board positions document
- The Candidate code of conduct form, duly signed
- The ESC elections statement, duly signed
- Their ESC declaration of interests (DOI) (if not done already) via https://escol.escardio.org/DOI
- The permission form to use information and photograph, duly signed
The application and supporting documents must be submitted by Monday 27 November 2023 12:00 CET1 to Prof. Stephan Achenbach (Chair of the ESC Nominating Committee), Mrs Sonja Bauer (PA to Prof. Achenbach) and Mrs Marielle Bigolet (ESC Board Executive Secretary).
For any further information, please contact Prof. Stephan Achenbach, Chair of the ESC Nominating Committee.
Professor Stephan Achenbach
Immediate ESC Past President
Chair of the ESC Nominating Committee 2022-2024