Strategic Research Agenda for Cardiovascular Diseases
The Strategic Research Agenda for Cardiovascular Diseases (SRA-CVD) developed by ERA-CVD, a European Research Area Network, is a blueprint for shaping CVD research priorities in Horizon Europe.
The ESC has significantly contributed as a member of the Advisory Board of ERA CVD. This Strategic Research Agenda proposes 15 topics for CVD research in three categories: prevention strategies; treatment and management; and living with chronic cardiovascular diseases.
Among the topics are:
- Can wearables help people improve and maintain a healthy lifestyle?
- How to anticipate and prevent heart attack, cardiac arrest and stroke.
- Using data on genetics, physical and mental health and socioeconomic status to tailor risk assessment, lifestyle advice and preventive treatment.
- How CVD interacts with cancer and diabetes and the potential for combined treatments.
- Clarifying the biological, behavioural and social mechanisms of CVD in women versus men.
- Understanding the crosstalk between cognitive decline and CVD to jointly tackle both conditions.
- Ways to support CVD patients with depression, anxiety and extreme tiredness.
- What CVD patients and caregivers need and expect from healthcare providers at the end of life.
- Research on new advanced cell-derived therapies to detain the progression of acute heart disease to heart failure.