Objectives of the programme
The Micro-Fellowship Standards programme supplements the regular long-term Education and Training grants programme fellowships. It offers a short (4 weeks) but intensive stay in one carefully selected centre of excellence in a given technology among:
- Intra coronary imaging
- Fractional flow reserve
- Bifurcation PCI
- Radial approach
- PCI in STEMI / NSTEACS
- Rotational atherectomy
- Revascularization of chronic total occlusion
- Interventions using bioabsorbable scaffolds
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement
- Mitral valve interventions (Mitral valvuloplasty, MitraClip, Novel devices)
- Left atrial appendage closure
- Atrial septal interventions
Who should join?
The programme is dedicated specifically to interventionists having completed their fellowship and at the early stages of their learning curve in one of the targeted procedures. (No age limit)
In addition, applicants eligible for this programme are those who meet all the below requirements:
- Have no or small experience with the selected technology
- Have limited training opportunities in the home institution
- Have realistic goal to perform procedures with the selected technology after their micro-fellowhip programme
- Are citizen or resident for tax purposes of a country which is among the National Cardiac Society Members of the ESC.
- Are fluent in the country language of the relevant host center
- Select a host centre from a country among the National Cardiac Society Members of the ESC, preferably within their country of residence or within a country or area where no VISA/permit is required. (If no suggestion is made, the Committee will look at centres.)
- Are able to start their Micro-Fellowship Standards programme within 2-4 weeks after having been selected
- Are members of the EAPCI. Join us now if you are not a member!
The rules and regulations of this programme are available online. Learn more
Applicants are requested to identify a centre which is a centre of excellence in the given technology which they have selected. In addition, as part of the application process, they are strongly recommended to approach them to secure their training period, if selected.
What should I expect from this programme?
Its goal is to boost the candidates’ exposure to the selected procedure over a period of 4 weeks. Even if this will be observational, it will provide a good kick-start to the programme in their home institution. This latter possibility is even supported – as an option – with a few days visit by a proctor, also covered by the grant. There is no need to add that the networking potential of this programme is massive.
- Continuous with a selection twice per year minimum
- Candidates applications (which shall preferably already include the reference of a host centre able to welcome and train the candidate) will be managed by EAPCI Office in line with the criteria defined in the EAPCI Micro-Fellowship Standards programme
- Applications of the candidates will be selected by EAPCI Fellowship Committee and submitted to the industry subscribers for them to liaise with national representatives and contact the candidates and the centres, take care of the quality standards of the training, the description of the planned training programme as well as all organisational and financial matters at national level.
This programme is subject to the industry support at national level: more information on the name and country of the subscribers will be provided in due course. Discussions are currently on-going between industry partners and EAPCI.
Please contact: EAPCI@escardio.org