The call for candidates is now open
The deadline for applications has been extended.
It is no secret that women are underrepresented in the interventional cardiology profession. Subject to applications received, 50% of the 2022 EAPCI Education and Training Grants will be allocated to women.
NEW! Host centres
The call for host centres opened in October 2022. Participating centres are available to potentially host candidates. Candidates may use this list or select other centres and approach them for a hosting pre-agreement.
More about the grants programme
The European Association of Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions (EAPCI) offers education and training grants of €25,000 for clinical training in interventional cardiology in ESC member countries.
Centres involved in the programme host the trainee for 12 months of training in a specialised topic:
- Percutaneous coronary intervention (complex interventions: treatment of calcified lesions, left main stenting, treatment of bifurcations)
- Percutaneous coronary intervention (treatment of chronic total occlusions)
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation
- Transcatheter mitral valve intervention
- Transcatheter tricuspid valve intervention
- Structural heart interventions (left atrial appendage closure, PFO closure, ASD closure, paravalvular leak closure, etc.)
- Intracoronary imaging (IVUS, OCT, NIRS) and imaging-guided PCI approach
- Physiological lesion assessment (FFR, iFR) and physio-guided PCI approach
- Carotid arterial intervention and stroke interventions
- Peripheral arterial intervention
- Renal denervation
- Renal protection and contrast-less PCI
- Management of shock and protected PCI with mechanical circulatory supports
- Fusion of cardiovascular images (CT/angio/MR)
- Robotics interventions
- Non-invasive CAD diagnosis (coronary CT and angio-based physiologic assessment)
- Imaging for structural heart intervention (TEE-guidance of structural interventions and advanced CT analysis)
Candidates can also suggest other topics of interest, in line with their training needs and career development.
Why should you apply?
"The EAPCI Fellowship Grant Programme has been a unique opportunity to improve my potential as a young specialist and gain truly incredible clinical and research experience in interventional cardiology that I am passionate about. I reinforced my professional network with cardiologists across the world who inspired me and supported me in the early stages of my career."
Dr. Tatyana Storozhenko, grant winner 2021
"Receiving an EAPCI grant helped me improve my daily practice by learning new interventional techniques from top European cardiologists. I wouldn’t have had so many career opportunities without the EAPCI Grant."
Dr. Salvatore Brugaletta, FESC, grant winner 2007
Candidates must be:
- a citizen or permanent resident from a country among the ESC National Cardiac Societies*, AND, whose ‘country of work/training at the time of application’ is among the ESC National Cardiac Societies* (please refer to the Appendix 1 at the end of this page for additional information);
- a medical graduate, providing they have already proven some research potential by publishing in medical journals OR are a science graduate holding a PhD or DPhil degree or equivalent or have submitted a thesis before starting the training period relating to the grant;
- under 40 years of age on the day of the application deadline (15 January 2023); and
- a member of the European Association of Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions (EAPCI)
*The Belorussian Scientific Society of Cardiology and the Russian Society of Cardiology are temporarily suspended from membership in the ESC. Read the statement from the ESC.
- Candidates from non-EU countries meeting the eligibility requirements in terms of residence (as per Appendix I of the rules and regulations) will be required to ensure that they have health insurance in order to submit an application to the 2022 EAPCI Fellowship Grants programme. Applicants with doubts about their eligibility are advised to contact the EAPCI prior to submitting an application.
- Important: grant allocation will be subject to visa acceptance (when needed) and compliance with all the requirements to be specified by the hosting training centre (including language level, medical license, approval of the relevant authorities, health insurance and insurance, etc.).This will be discussed during the selection process between the candidate, the EAPCI Fellowship Grants Committee and the proposed hosting training centre(s).
- Candidates are strongly urged to read the EAPCI Fellowship Grant Rules and Regulations 2023 (last updated on 3 October 2022) before applying.
Meet our grant winners
On behalf of the EAPCI Board and the EAPCI Fellowship Committee 2020-2022, chaired by Prof. van Mieghem and Dr. Lefèvre, we would like to congratulate the 2022 Fellowship Grant winners: Drs. Claudio Espada Guerreiro, Andrija Matetic, Annette Maznyczka, Edwina McNaughton and Yannick Willemen.
The EAPCI Education and Training Grants programme 2022 was supported by educational grants from Edwards Lifesciences and Medtronic.
Find out more about our 2022 winners
Find out more about our 2021 winners
Find out more about our 2020 winners