"This is the result of an exceptional collective effort. Hundreds of world-renowned experts – from more than 60 cardiovascular disciplines – donated their time and expertise to realising this achievement. Congratulations to all."
Prof. Barbara Casadei, ESC President, 2018 - 2020
“… a phenomenal textbook … arguably the gold standard for a general cardiology textbook.”
British Medical Association
Related ESC Membership benefits
ESC Professional Members FESC and National Cardiac Society Members should access their My ESC account’s “My Publications” section.
Print version benefits:
- ESC Members from ESC National Cardiac Societies receive a discount
- ESC Professional Members receive an ever higher discount
Online version benefit:
- ESC Professional Members get free access to the book’s continually updated online version ESC CardioMed.
Discover more here
Non-members may purchase the ESC Textbook directly from Oxford University Press.
Cardiology Award Winners
The ESC Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine, 3rd edition
Editors: A. John Camm, Thomas F Lüscher, Gerald Maurer, and Patrick Serruys
Highly commended awards
- Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine, 2-Volume Set 11th edition
- Crash Course Cardiology 5th edition
- Critical Heart Disease in Infants and Children, 3rd edition
- Introduction to Basic Cardiac Dysrhythmias 5th edition
- Textbook of Clinical Echocardiography 6th edition
Judging (from the BMA website)
The BMA judging panel awards books for their applicability to audience, production quality and originality.
All entries are individually reviewed and appraised by doctors and educators who are interested in medical publishing.
Preliminary reviewing takes place during March and April. Reviewers are asked to consider accuracy, currency, originality, book production quality and whether the title meets the needs of its audience.
The appraisals and the books themselves are then evaluated by specialist panels in May and June, arriving at short listing recommendations for a winner and highly commended awards in each category. Final judging usually takes place in June.
The panel consists of the BMA Chairman of Council, the President, and the Librarian. They review the shortlisting panels’ recommendations and select the BMA Medical book of the year.