Sophia Antipolis, 23 December 2022:
Lifestyle, gender issues, and treatments were hot topics this year, with pick up of the latest science published in ESC journals and presented at ESC events. ESC Congress was a particularly popular news source, along with the Heart Failure congress and the ESC Asia with APSC & AFC congress.
The ESC stories that generated the most media coverage worldwide in 2022 were:
- Coffee drinking is associated with increased longevity (European Journal of Preventive Cardiology)
- Women urged to eat potassium-rich foods to improve their heart health (European Heart Journal)
- Polypill reduces cardiovascular events in heart attack patients compared to usual care (ESC Congress)
- Good sleepers have lower risk of heart disease and stroke (ESC Congress)
- Cardiovascular protection from statins greatly outweighs the risk of muscle symptoms (ESC Congress)
- Study highlights lifelong benefits of statin therapy (ESC Congress)
- Cannabis prescribed for pain linked with small risk of heart problems (ESC Congress)
- Air pollution linked to deadly heart rhythm disorder (Heart Failure congress)
- Premature menopause is associated with increased risk of heart problems (European Heart Journal)
- Women and men mistakenly given different advice to prevent heart disease (ESC Asia with APSC & AFC congress)
Check out all ESC press releases here.
Have a healthy and enjoyable holiday season. Stay tuned for more ESC science in 2023!
Authors: ESC Press Office
Mobile: +33 (0)7 8531 2036
Follow us on Twitter @ESCardioNews
The European Society of Cardiology brings together health care professionals from more than 150 countries, working to advance cardiovascular medicine and help people lead longer, healthier lives.