Dear ACVC Member,
The year 2020 was completely disrupted by Covid-19.
At ACVC we had planned a fantastic congress in Athens in March 2020, but this was cancelled just a few days before it should have started because of worldwide restrictions in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic. And since then Covid-19 pushed all ACVC activities into a virtual world, while most of you were working in the front line at busy clinics around the world.
We have tried to stay in touch with all of you through many online activities – especially appointed to the youngest of our community. We have delivered ACVC talks focusing on ECGs, mechanical circulatory support, out of hospital cardiac arrest and postgraduate acute cardiology education in Europe as well as more in debt webinars on topics relevant for the acute cardiovascular care physician.
In just two months we are facing a completely new and innovative online congress on acute cardiovascular care. This virtual congress will be truly global in its format with sessions delivered around the globe in a 24-hour period – symbolising that acute cardiovascular care never sleeps. It is my sincere hope that many of you will embrace this concept, enjoy the many presentations and discussions and learn a lot.
We all hope that 2021 will be known as the Covid-19 vaccination year, so that we can get ‘back to normal’ – but ACVC will plan for a lot of further virtual education. It may take many months before we can meet physically again, and the virtual world will live on anyway. So, besides our virtual congress you can expect a many webinar, practical tutorials and a new updated ESCeL platform (see our strategic plan for 2021-22)
More than ever, we need the support of our members to keep ACVC in the front of the scene in this new online environment.
Be the voice of your association
Wishing you all a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.
Prof. Christian Hassager, Denmark
Your ACVC President
ACVC Strategic Plan for 2021-2022
- Be(come) the excellence and reference across the world for acute cardiovascular diseases by increasing awareness of our activities, particularly our congress and reaching out overseas regions (USA /Asia / Middle East)
- Offer four certified educational programmes in the main fields of acute cardiovascular care, encompassing complete patient pathway from pre-hospital cardiac event until stabilisation:
- Acute heart failure and cardiogenick shock
- Severe acute arrhythmias, sudden cardiac death, and refractory cardiac arrest
- Acute Venous Thromboembolism:DVT & PE
- Acute Cardiovascular Ischemia (STEMI/NSTE-ACS): acute peripheral ischemia acute stroke
- Provide and expand engagement in science by providing an exchange forum on research, encouraging paper submission in our journal, monitoring EU project to take part in;
- Enlarge community & membership worldwide by restructuring and simplifying our membership offer to better answer your needs, attracting new professionals, new countries.
What have we done for our members in 2020?
- Resources per topics
- ACVC Talks (ECG challenge, Tips & Tricks)
- ACVC online courses (ESCeL)
- EHJ-ACVC (an IF of 3.8, A new editor in chief , a new plan for an international reach)
- Series of webinars
What is coming in 2021
- A 24-hour, online, innovative congress
- Two handbooks on HM & MCS
- An updated version of the ACVC Decision-Making Toolkit
- ESC Textbook on Intensive and Acute Cardioascular Care - 3rd edition
- Online certification exam in national testing centers
- A newly structured educational approach
- More visibility for research in the field