In order to bring you the best possible user experience, this site uses Javascript. If you are seeing this message, it is likely that the Javascript option in your browser is disabled. For optimal viewing of this site, please ensure that Javascript is enabled for your browser.
Did you know that your browser is out of date? To get the best experience using our website we recommend that you upgrade to a newer version. Learn more.

Scientific Exchange Grants

ESC Working Group on Cardiac Cellular Electrophysiology

The European Society of Cardiology (ESC) supports the future of cardiovascular medicine. Each year the ESC provides €2 million in grants, fellowships, and scholarships.

The ESC Working Group on Cardiac Cellular Electrophysiology is proud to offer Scientific Exchange Grants (SEG) of €2,500 to selected applicants. The objective is to strengthen relations between Research Institutions of different European countries.



2022 Scientific Exchange Grant

Principle

A 2,500€ grant will be attributed to selected members of the Working Group to cover travelling and accommodation costs to work for a minimal period of 1 month in a host institution of a different European Country.

Eligibility criteria

Candidates must be active in the area of cellular cardiac electrophysiology. All early career investigators, including PhD students and postdocs, are considered eligible candidates, but they must be accepted members of the Working Group on Cardiac Cellular Electrophysiology (EWGCCE). Previous SEG recipients are not eligible.

Candidates should move into a host laboratory different from their current laboratory and to a European country different from where their current laboratory is located. Current Institution and host Institution must be located in ESC Member Countries.

Key dates

  • 11 October 2021: opening of online applications
  • 16 January 2022: deadline for online applications
  • 21 February 2022: results of selection process
  • Before end of March 2022: selected applicants must have confirmed acceptance of the grant, and the actual exchange must be undertaken in the 12 following months.

Application process

Candidates must fill-in the online application form including:

  • Information on candidate current research in the area of cardiac electrophysiology (300 words)
  • Details of candidate proposed project (300 words)
  • A statement on how candidate intends to use the SEG (300 words)
  • A statement that, if candidate do not use the SEG within 12 months after the official awarding date, she/he will be considered to have refused the SEG and no payment will be made

And provide the following supporting documents:

  • A one page Curriculum Vitae and a list of publications
  • A letter of support from the host institution
  • A letter of support from current institution

Important

  • All  information and supporting PDF documents requested in the application form are mandatory
  • Only application in English language will be accepted

Apply

Review process

The review process will be coordinated by a panel of 2 members of the ESC Working Group on Cardiac Cellular Electrophysiology Nucleus, who will assess the eligibility of the candidate and host institution and select appropriate external reviewers (outside of the Nucleus). Members of this panel may not be involved in any of the submitted applications, either as supervisor of the applicant nor as to the proposed host institution. 

The grading will have four items to score:

  • Quality of the application
  • The scientific value of the proposed visit and value for the candidate’s future research career
  • Suitability of host laboratory
  • Value for the working group´s objectives

Based on the scores, the WG Chairperson-Elect makes a proposal of the candidates to receive the award(s) that will be discussed and validated by the nucleus. The WG Chairperson will sign the letters to the awardees.

If an awardee does not use the grant within 12 months after the official date of awarding the grant for the purpose of visiting the host institution, the awardee will be considered to have refused the grant.

Payment of the Scientific Exchange Grant

The first payment, amounting 60% of the SEG, will be made on the starting date of the visit to the Host Institution (candidate should email copy of electronic transportation tickets to workinggroups@escardio.org prior to departure) and the remaining 40% will be paid once the grantee has provided a final report (1-2 pages) signed by the Director of the Host Centre is delivered to the EWGCCE Chair by email.

Previous editions

2021 - in progress:

  • Mr Job Stoks
  • Mr Mani Sadredini

2020: