Access main information :
Español Italiano Français
Syncope is a transient loss of consciousness (TLOC) due to transient global cerebral hypoperfusion, characterised by rapid onset, short duration, and spontaneous recovery. While there are other causes of TLOC, syncope is present when there is the:
- presence of features of reflex, orthostatic hypotension, or cardiac syncope, AND
- absence of features specific to other forms of TLOC.
In 2018, the ESC released guidelines on the diagnosis and management of syncope. The aim of this course is to:
- support skills development for professionals working in all areas of cardiovascular care related to the management of syncope.
- promote the use of the guidelines, ensuring that they are enabled to diagnose and manage syncope effectively.
Who should attend?
Healthcare professionals, particularly nurses and allied professionals working in all areas of syncope and related disorders. This course can be of particular interest to either Italian, Spanish or French speakers as subtitles will be available in those languages.
- Understand diagnosis and management of syncope.
- Be able to describe the ESC guidelines on syncope.
- Understand how to implement ESC guidelines on syncope in practice.
- Learn how loop recorders are implanted for longer term diagnostic strategies.
Programme and timeline
This programme will be delivered via the ESC eLearning platform over a six week period.
||Format and duration
|18 January - 29 February 2024
||Session 1: Syncope : diagnosis and management
||*Recorded sessions - 60 min each
|Session 2: ESC Guidelines on syncope : key messages
|Session 3: How to implement ESC Guidelines on syncope in practice
|Session 4: Learn how loop recorders are implanted for longer-term diagnostic strategies
|15 February at 9:30am CET
||Zoom discussion with the course tutors - Session 1
||Live sessions in English - 30 min each
15 February at 10:05am CET
|Zoom discussion with the course tutors - Session 2
|22 February at 9:30am CET
||Zoom discussion with the course tutors - Session 3
|22 February at 10:05am
||Zoom discussion with the course tutors - Session 4
|| 2018 ESC Guidelines on Syncope: Test your knowledge
||**60 multiple choice questions to answer in 90 Min.
*These lectures will be recorded and be available to all course participants to watch at any time (on-demand) during the six-week course.
** MCQ test available via the ESC e-learning platform from 29 February 2024 9:00am and 1st March 10:00am CET. Passed this timeframe, the MCQ test will no longer be accessible.
Translations available in Italian, Spanish and French
- Subtitles are available in the four recorded sessions in English, Spanish, Italian and French
- MCQ test fully translated into the above languages
The rest of the course content will remain in English.
Ciara Rice - Course Director
St. James Hospital
University of Applied Science Upper Austria
Marieke van der Heijden
Clinical nurse specialist for pacing-electrophysiology
Auckland, New Zealand
Edinburgh Napier University
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
This course is open to all ACNAP members:
- ACNAP Silver members: free
- ACNAP Regular members: 25 euros (+VAT)
Application deadline: 8 December 2023
You must have an active ACNAP membership at the date of the registration.
- A limited number of spaces are available on a first come, first served basis, so don’t wait to register!
- You will need to have a 'My ESC' account to register and secure your place. If you don't have an ESC account, don't panic! Follow the steps HERE to create your account and become an ACNAP member. This will only take a few minutes.
- Four moderated sessions will be held via Zoom discussions for you to drop in and engage with the course tutors. Participation is not mandatory but we encourage you to attend and ask as many questions as you need to get ready for the MCQ test.
- Short MCQs will be available on the ESC eLearning platform to test your knowledge once the recorded sessions are released online.
- You must fully watch all four recorded sessions to be able to access the final MCQ Test via the eLearning platform.
- A certificate of course completion (in English only) will be delivered to each participant who successfully pass the final MCQ Test.
For any questions, please contact us at ACNAP@escardio.org
The course will be accessible from the ESC eLearning platform and will open on 18 January 2024.
Not an ACNAP Silver Member yet?
Discover ACNAP Silver Membership and access a portfolio of exclusive benefits including:
- unlimited access to ACNAP webinars and resources on ESC 365, the cardiology knowledge hub
- a digital subscription to the European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing
- mentorship opportunities with experts in your field
- savings on ACNAP Congress 2024