Jointly chaired by Alison Haliday (ESVS), Wolfram Doehner (ESC Council on Stroke) and Francesca Pezzella (ESO) the well-attended session offered an interdisciplinary exchange on timely topics regarding stroke.
- The need for joint efforts of cardiologists, surgeons and neuro-/strokologists in modern, comprehensive stroke care was emphasised in an overview by Dr. Doehner (DE).
- Dr. Elved Roberts (UK) discussed the important topic of stroke as complication in the context of growing numbers of complex interventional procedures such as endovascular valve repair and replacement, and complex surgical interventions.
- The recent developments in interventional stroke treatments related to carotid stenosis were presented by Dr. Mikael Mazighi (FR).
- The mechanisms and recent insights into atrial fibrillation as a major factor for strokes in the context of vascular surgery was discussed by Dr. Martin Fiala (CZ).
- As a very important topic, Dr. Francesca Pezzella (IT) offered up-to-date facts and numbers on gender aspects and on the underestimation of the problem particularly in female patients.
- The session was completed by Dr. Barbara Rantner (DE) with an interactive case presentation of challenging and informative clinical cases.
This session once more emphasised the value and the growing need to advance the interdisciplinary dialogue across individual specialties in order to provide truly comprehensive care concepts to our patients.