The Council on Cardiovascular Genomics is holding elections for the mandate 2022-2024.
The following positions will need to be filled:
Treasurer / Secretary (combined role)
The Treasurer / Secretary is responsible for the financial affairs and budget management of the Council, according to ESC accounting principles. The Treasurer / Secretary also takes on specific responsibilities in relation to the organisation of the Council’s meetings, according to the Council’s Operational Guidelines. The Treasurer / Secretary is elected for 2 years and may be re-elected for a further 2 years (4 years maximum).
The Communications Coordinator
The Communication Coordinator is responsible for the collection of the content for the website, the member newsletter and any communication media of the Council according to the Council’s Operational Guidelines. He/she works in collaboration with ESC staff. The Communication Coordinator is elected for 2 years and may be re-elected for a further 2 years (4 years maximum).
The Liaison Officer
The Liaison Officer is responsible for the relationships with national and international societies devoted to cardiovascular genomics and specialist societies with an interest in specific aspects of cardiovascular genomics. The Liaison Officer is also responsible for fostering collaboration with other constituent bodies of the ESC. The Liaison Officer is elected for 2 years and may be re-elected for a further 2 years (4 years maximum).
Ordinary Nucleus Members (4 positions)
Ordinary Nucleus Members must engage actively in the activities of the Council. The Chairperson of the Council may assign specific responsibilities to the Ordinary Nucleus Members based on their area of expertise and the ongoing Council initiatives. The Ordinary Nucleus Members are elected for 2 years and may be re-elected for a further 2 years (4 years maximum).
Nominating Committee Positions
Nominating Committee member – 3 positions
The role of the Nominating Committee is to supervise the good running of elections following a call for candidates for open positions.
The Nominating Committee:
- Ensures that the criteria for eligibility are pre-defined.
- Evaluates the candidates and proposes at least one candidate per position.
- Strives to encourage a good balance of candidates by considering the experience of the candidates, the geographical representation of ESC countries, and the gender.
What you should know:
- This Nominating Committee mandate will run September 2022–August 2024.
- The members of the Nominating Committee are not eligible for election into Council on Cardiovascular Genomics Nucleus positions for two years after the end of their mandate in the Nominating Committee.
Eligibility criteria and rules
- All candidates must be members of the Council on Cardiovascular Genomics
- Nucleus members are required to be either ESC Professional Members or Fellows of the ESC (FESC).
- Candidates should have a reasonable publication record in the field of cardiovascular genomics.
- Previous experience as an official within the ESC or another national/international professional society in the field of cardiovascular genomics or a related area is desirable
- Only Council members whose place of work is an ESC member country* can be elected to Nucleus positions
- Candidates cannot hold more than three leadership ESC positions at the same time.
- Candidates cannot simultaneously hold another position as an elected Nucleus / Board Member in an ESC Association, Working Group or another Council, unless co-opted into a non-voting position
- Candidates cannot exceed twelve years in the same Council Nucleus, consecutive or not.
- The members of the Nominating Committee are not eligible for election into Council on Cardiovascular Genomics Nucleus positions for two years after the end of their mandate in the Nominating Committee (2026).
How to apply
If you would like to be a member of the Nucleus or Nominating Committee, we invite you to submit your application including a curriculum vitae and your motivations for applying for the role.
- Your suitability for the role
- Any previous experience with positions within ESC or another professional society
- If applying for a position as member of the Nominating Committe, that you are aware that if elected you will be ineligible for positions in the ESC Council for Cardiology Practice Nucleus for two years after the end of the mandate in the Nominating Committee (until 2026).
Candidates may only apply for one role.
Submit your application by 31 March 2022.
What happens next?
- The applications will be reviewed by the Nominating Committee of the ESC Council on Cardiovascular Genomics for completeness and eligibility.
- The Nominating Committee defines the final slate of candidates.
- All candidates are informed of whether they are included in the final slate of candidates.
- Voting is by secret ballot and the elected members take up their positions at the end of the Council Meeting at ESC Congress 2022
- Council members who were members of the Council on Cardiovascular Genomics at the latest one month before the opening of the electronic vote, and
- Council members whose membership does not expire before the voting commences, and
- Council members whose country of work is in an ESC member country*
*The Belorussian Scientific Society of Cardiology and the Russian Society of Cardiology are temporarily suspended from the membership of the ESC. See ESC Statement.