The Secretary supports the Chairperson in administration (annual report, Board / Nucleus communications, meeting protocols, SOPs). The Secretary is the coordinator for the Basic Research Fellowship. The Secretary collects proposals for special lectures (e.g. the “Basic Science Lecture”).
The Secretary is elected for 2 years and may be re-elected for a further 2 years (4 years maximum).
The Treasurer is responsible for budget planning and supervision, search for additional funding.
The Treasurer centralises requests for endorsement.
The Treasurer is elected for 2 years and may be re-elected for a further 2 years (4 years maximum).
Candidates may only apply for one position.
Nominating Committee Positions
Nominating Committee member – three positions
The role of the Nominating Committee is to supervise the good running of elections following a call for candidates for open positions.
The Nominating Committee:
- Ensures that the criteria for eligibility are pre-defined.
- Evaluates the candidates and proposes at least one candidate per position.
- Strives to encourage a good balance of candidates by considering the experience of the candidates, the geographical representation of ESC countries, and the gender.
What you should know:
- This Nominating Committee mandate will run September 2022–August 2024.
- The members of the Nominating Committee are not eligible for election into Council on Basic Cardiovascular Science Nucleus positions for two years after the end of their mandate in the Nominating Committee.
Eligibility criteria to apply
- Candidates must be a member of the Council on Basic Cardiovascular Science
- Nucleus members are required to be either ESC Professional Members or Fellows of the ESC (FESC)
- Only Council members whose place of work is an ESC member country* can be elected to Nucleus positions
- Candidates should have a reasonable publication record in the field of basic science
- Previous experience as an official within the ESC or another national/international professional society in the field of basic science or a related area is desirable
- Candidates cannot hold more than three leadership ESC positions at the same time. Candidates cannot simultaneously hold another position as an elected Nucleus / Board Member in an ESC Association, Working Group or another Council, unless if co-opted in a non-voting position.
- Candidates cannot exceed twelve years in the same Council Nucleus, consecutive or not.
- Nominating Committee members are not eligible for election into Nucleus roles for a 2 year period after the end of their mandate in the Nominating Committee.
How to apply
If you would like to apply for one of the Nucleus or Nominating Committee positions, we invite you to submit your application including a curriculum vitae and your motivations for applying for the role.
- Application letter declaring willingness to work as volunteer for the ESC Council on Basic Cardiovascular Science and explaining the motivation to become a council nucleus or a nominating committee member and describing current interest / activities related to basic science.
- CV including information about specialization
- Current place of work and position
- Previous work in the ESC structures is welcome, but not absolutely requested
- List of publications
- If applying for a position as member of the Nominating Committee, that you are aware that if elected you will be ineligible for positions in the ESC Council on Basic Cardiovascular Science Nucleus for two years after the end of the mandate in the Nominating Committee (until 2026).
Candidates may only apply for one role
Send your application by 31 March 2022.
What happens next?
- The applications will be reviewed by the Nominating Committee of the ESC Council on Basic Cardiovascular Science for completeness and eligibility.
- The role of the Nominating Committee is also to guarantee interdisciplinary, gender and age balance and to propose a balanced list of candidates for all positions. Thus, besides applications from cardiologists, applications from other specialists (neurologists, radiologists, surgeons, strokologists etc.) and from our young members are particularly welcome.
- All candidates will be informed of whether they are included in the final slate of candidates.
- Voting is by secret ballot and the elected Members take up their positions at the end of the Council Meeting at the ESC Congress 2022
- Council members who were members of the Council on Basic Cardiovascular Science at the latest one month before the opening of the electronic vote, and
- Council members whose membership does not expire before the voting commences, and
- Council members whose country of work is in an ESC member country*
*The Belorussian Scientific Society of Cardiology and the Russian Society of Cardiology are temporarily suspended from the membership of the ESC. See ESC Statement.