Post-Doctoral Mentorship Award
Developing the researchers of tomorrow in Cardiovascular Care
The Council on Cardiovascular Nursing and Allied Professions (CCNAP) of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) is committed to mentoring new researchers and offering support for career development for professionals in Cardiovascular Care. The Post-Doctoral Mentorship Award will enable mentees to have dedicated time with their selected mentor, to meet new colleagues and be exposed to a different learning environment.
Please read the disclaimer on Personal Data Privacy before applying.
Who is this award for ?
This award is for CCNAP members planning to attend the EuroHeartCare 2015 congress and who are interested in receiving expert advice on their career development and future research.
- One Post-Doctoral Mentorship Award is offered
- The award will be a max of 2,000 Euro (based on budget in application)
- The funds are provided for travel and hotel accommodation for the successful candidate to visit a mentor in his/her academic/clinical institution for a minimum of 2 days.
- The mentee selects his/her mentor
- The successful candidate must:
- provide a short report on the outcome of their Mentorship Award
- agree to present their report at EuroHeartCare 2016 (registration will be offered)
- be present at the EuroHeartCare 2015 Closing Ceremony.
Criteria for eligibility
- Candidates must be graduates within 7 years of their Doctoral Award
- Candidates must be Members of the Council on Cardiovascular Nursing and Allied Professions (CCNAP). If you are not a member of CCNAP you can register for free here
To apply you will be invited to provide the following:
- Details on your current achievements and experience in cardiovascular care and research
- A maximum of three goals that you will use this award to achieve. These should be specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time limited.
- How you plan to achieve these goals
- A budget showing how you intend to spend the funds (please add the approximate amount per expense)
- An official letter from a mentor in cardiovascular care stating that:
- they have agreed to take on this role
- that they comply with the following:
- they have a PhD with relevant post doctoral experience
- they are employed in a clinical and/or academic setting within Europe
- they agree to support the mentee with 2 days of placement in his / her Institution.
Applications are accepted from 12 November 2014 to 4 January 2015
For any queries contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Testimony of the 2014 awardees
Ass. Prof. Ahmed Al-Smadi
|"It is a great opportunity to have the CCNAP Post-Doctoral Mentorship Award. |
It provides me with a valuable feedback and guidance to conduct a research with a particular research method which was new for me.
In addition, the opportunity to discuss my career path and plans with my mentor helped me to develop a clear plan that will lead my success post PhD."
Dr Sitali Mushemi-Blake
|"I would strongly encourage all early stage researchers to apply for the CCNAP postdoctoral award as my personal experience of receiving this award has been invaluable. Finding a suitable mentor with a diverse and successful research portfolio has given me insight into what it takes to be an independent researcher within an academic setting and also allowed me to explore novel areas that benefit patient diagnosis.|
The funds received from the award gave me the opportunity to visit my mentor, Prof. Felicity Astin, at the University of Salford where she dedicated her time providing a great deal of support, guidance and inspiration. During my visit, I was also able to meet with another faculty member who gave worthwhile advice on running a charitable organisation in a developing country.
Since the visit, a number of developmental milestones have been made, all thanks to the continued support received from my mentor who enabled me to draw up short, mid and long-term goals. I have been successful in securing a lead research echocardiographer position at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital, London which is reputable for its clinical and academic research achievements. I am in the process of submitting a manuscript for publication in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology. I have also identified a supervisor and I am currently applying for a postdoctoral fellowship.
It is challenging working towards being an independent researcher. Having the oversight of a mentor is therefore very important and it is great that CCNAP offers this opportunity for early stage researchers. Thank you!"
| Personal Data Privacy|
The information collected is subject to a computerised process to record, evaluate and track your grant application. The recipients of the data are:
• The staff in charge of processing Council grant applications and, where a grant is awarded, the staff in charge of paying the grant monies.
• Persons to whom the request will be sent for review and evaluation.
In accordance with the law N°78-17 of January 6, 1978, amended in 2004, relating to the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data, you have a right to access and rectify information concerning you, which you can exercise by contacting:
Data Privacy - Customer Services
European Society of Cardiology
2035 Route des Colles
06903 SOPHIA ANTIPOLIS. FRANCE
You can also, for legitimate reasons, oppose the processing of data about you.