The ESC is very proud to announce that a total of 554 applications were received. The Oversight Committee has decided to award 5 grants. The names of the winners are:
- Dr. Michael Joner, USA
- Dr. Christersson Christina, Sweden
- Dr. Soria Fernandez Jose Manuel, Spain
- Dr. David Tregouet, France
- Dr. Heidt Timo, Germany
More information on the grant awardees and their research
Applications are now closed.
The programme offers four research grants to the maximum amount of €400 000 each that will be awarded on 18 December 2015 for research projects running no longer than 18 months.
Grant Proposal Format
Proposals should be no more than 1500 words and will have to respect the following format:
- Short background
- Study design and power calculation
To finalise the application, applicants will also be required to upload their CV.
All proposals will be evaluated by the Scientific Committee.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 1 November 2015
Finalist presentations & announcement of Grant Awardees: 18 December 2015 (14:00 - 17:00 CET)
- Qualified MD or PhD eligible to conduct research
- Worldwide applications
- Studies to be conducted according to Good Clinical Practice (GCP) and EU Regulations on animal experimentation with required pre-approval from investigator's institutional ethics committee at time of award selection (December 2015)
- Study must have publishable data/outcome within 12 to 18 months from award initiation
- Applicants should be affiliated with an academic/scientific institution or national healthcare system
- Proposal: 1 500 word limit (see above for the required format)
Research projects concerned
The following fields will be considered for this Grant Programme:
- Thromboembolic Disease (general)
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Deep Vein Thrombosis/Pulmonary Embolism
- Percutaneous Coronary Intervention
- Coronary Artery Disease and/or Peripheral Artery Disease
These grants aim to fund innovative ground-breaking projects in the following fields of cardiology: Thromboembolic Disease (general), Atrial Fibrillation, Stroke, Deep Vein Thrombosis/Pulmonary Embolism, Percutaneous Coronary Intervention, Coronary Artery Disease and/or Peripheral Artery Disease. Both interventional and observational studies (in animal models or in humans) will be considered for these grants.
Applications seeking to investigate Non Vitamin K Oral Anticoagulants (NOACs) must include more than one NOAC.
Out of scope
- Studies replicating findings of completed Phase IV or on-going large scale clinical trials (statistically powered)
- Studies evaluating off-label indications/use of a study drug(s)
- Studies under review/currently funded by any industry grants
The grant award will be delivered as follows:
- December 2015: Research Awardees will be presented with 50% of the grant, on condition that they have written approval from their institutional ethics committee by Tuesday 1 March 2016
- June 2016: 25% on submission and approval of 6-month progress report
- December 2016: 25% on submission and approval of 12-month progress report
Prof. Francesco Cosentino: Chairperson
Prof. Barbara Casadei: VP for Research/Clinical Trials
Prof. Gerhard Hindricks: EHRA President
Prof. Michael Haude: EAPCI President Elect acting as President
Prof. Stefan Agewall: Chair of ESC Working Group on Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapy
Prof. Joao Morais: Chair of ESC Working Group on Thrombosis
Prof. Marianne Brodmann: Chair of ESC Working Group on Peripheral Circulation
For any queries please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org