Objectives and principles
The objective of the EWGCCE Scientific Exchange Grant (SEG) is to strengthen relations between Research Institutions of different European countries. For this, a €2,500 grant will be attributed to selected applicants of the ESC Working Group on Cardiac Cellular Electrophysiology to cover travelling and accommodation costs to work for a minimal period of 1 month in an institution of a different European Country.
Candidates must be active in the area of cardiac electrophysiology either in the experimental or translational field. All early career investigators, including PhD students and postdocs, are considered eligible candidates, but they must be accepted members of WG on Cardiac Cellular Electrophysiology (EWGCCE).
Candidates should move into a host laboratory different from their current laboratory and to a European country different from where their current laboratory is located. Current Institution and host Institution must be located in ESC Member countries.
Submit your application
Applications are closed.
Thank you for submitting your application
Deadline for applications: 19 December 2019
Results of selection process: February 2020
Grants must be accepted before 1 March 2020, and the actual exchange must be undertaken in the 12 months following acceptance of the grant.
Payment of the Scientific Exchange Grant:
The first payment, amounting 60% of the grant, will be made on the starting date of the visit to the Host Institution (candidate should email copy of electronic transportation tickets to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to departure) and the remaining 40% will be paid once the final report (1-2 pages), signed by the Director of the Host Centre is delivered to the ESC Working Group on Cardiac Cellular Electrophysiology Chairperson by email.
The review process will be coordinated by a panel of 2 members of the ESC Working Group on Cardiac Cellular Electrophysiology Nucleus, who will assess eligibility of the candidate and host institution and select appropriate external reviewers (outside of the Nucleus). Members of this panel may not be involved in any of the submitted applications, either as supervisor of the applicant, nor as proposed host institution. In the first application year of the grant program, the panel will consist of the WG Chairperson (C.A. Remme) and Vice-Chairperson (A.-M. Gomez).
The grading will have 3 items to score:
- Quality of the application
- Scientific value of the proposed visit and value for the candidate’s future research career
- Suitability of host laboratory
Based on the scores, the WG Vice-Chairperson makes a proposal of the candidates to receive the award(s) that will be discussed and validated by the nucleus. The WG Chairperson will sign the letters to the awardees.
If an awardee does not use the grant within 12 months after the official date of awarding the grant for the purpose of visiting the host institution, the awardee will be considered to have refused the grant.
The winners are:
Doctor Maria Fernandez-Velasco from Instituto de Investigación Hospital Universitario La PAZ, Spain, and visiting University of Milano to work on funny current modulation by a selective agonist of NOD1 receptor
Doctor Aurore Lyon from Maastricht University, Netherlands, and visiting Oslo University Hospital – Department of Cardiology to work on the role of cellular electromechanical substrates on arrhythmic risk or pump failure in cardiomyopathy patients