The EHRA exam in electrophysiology evaluates the knowledge, experience and clinical expertise of allied professionals with a special focus in electrophysiology.
We envisage a successful EHRA certification process serving as a mark of excellence for allied professionals. In order to enhance the quality level of the exam we continuously focus our efforts on improving the number, content, layout, and statistical power of the questions.
We strongly recommend that allied professionals who wish to take the EHRA exam acquire knowledge and clinical experience before attending the exam.
A short questionnaire asking for details of the candidates’ clinical background will be part of the registration process for the exam.
EHRA AP Exam - take it from anywhere
No need to travel anymore. Take it online, from your computer, at your home.
The examination is designed to be completed in two parts of three hours each, with a 60-minute lunch break between the two parts.
You will be able to start the first part of your exam at any time between 09:00 to 11:00 CEST.
Your EHRA online exam - what you need to know
EHRA offers the possibility to take the exam online. Here is everything you need to know in order to participate!
What is this new online format?
EHRA provides you with the safety and convenience of an online platform while retaining the integrity and quality of an on-site supervised exam.
The exam is:
- offered everywhere in the world
- identical in content, format, and on-screen experience to previous on-site exams delivered on tablets
- taken on your own device (computer) and monitored by a human proctor online through ProctorU®
What equipment do candidates need?
You must verify that your computer meets the requirements before you register for the EHRA AP/EP exam. If this is not the case, you will not be able to take the exam.
You will need:
- a strong and stable internet connection
- a webcam, speakers, and a microphone
We highly recommend that you check all of the system requirements available.
We also recommend that you test your equipment while you are on that page to verify you have the necessary equipment to take the exam.
How can I register for this exam?
It is a two-step registration process
- Start your registration with EHRA
- Complete your registration with ProctorU®
Start your registration with EHRA
After having verified that your equipment meets the requirements, you can start your registration with EHRA.
You will need to complete a pre-exam questionnaire and pay the exam registration fee.
When you finish, you'll receive an email from the ESC with your invoice to confirm your payment.
Complete your registration with ProctorU®
Once you have registered with EHRA and pay your exam fee, you will get an email with a link to complete your registration with ProctorU®.
You will need to create a ProctorU® account. Then at the pre-defined exam date, you will be able to choose the time slot you would like to take the exam. When you finish, you will receive a confirmation email.
What can I expect on the exam day?
You can find more information about what to expect on the examination day below and also on the ProctorU® website.
Before the exam session begins
- Fix any issues you may encounter on your computer. All issues must be resolved before your appointment time
- Close all browsers and applications not needed for the exam
- Gather the documents you will need to identify you (passport, ID document with photo)
- Make sure your exam environment meets the requirements:
- your room is quiet and well lit
- you are alone in the room
- your workspace is clear from all materials and unauthorised supports
- there are no sounds from music or television around
- Make sure you have dressed appropriately, with your face visible to the proctor
Check-in and identification process
- Log in to your ProctorU® account at your appointment time
- Complete the authentication steps, which include showing your ID to the proctor. The name on your ID must match the name provided during the registration process
- Follow the proctor instructions. You will have to:
- Give access permission to your computer screen for monitoring purposes
- Use your camera to show a 360-degree view of your room
- If everything goes well, the proctor will let you start your exam
The check-in and identification process can take approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
During the exam
Your entire exam will be recorded by ProctorU® and monitored by a human proctor.
- During the exam, the proctor will monitor you (via the camera) and your computer screen to ensure you follow all exam procedures
- You must be visible to the proctor at all times during of the exam session. No breaks are allowed
- You can interact with the proctor by speaking to him/her or using the chat option
- You are not allowed to take notes on paper during the examination
The exam policies are:
- Don't use any unauthorised materials, including mobile devices, prewritten notes, or books
- The use of any recording equipment is strictly prohibited
- Don't communicate with anyone other than the proctor
- Speaking aloud during the exam is strictly prohibited
- You cannot be out of camera view. No breaks are allowed during the whole duration of the exam
- Taking pictures, screenshots or trying to copy/paste any element of the exam content is strictly prohibited
- You must behave in an appropriate manner. Any conduct that the proctor may deem vulgar, offensive, pornographic, obscene, abusive or criminal are strictly prohibited
Suspicious actions are flagged in the online proctoring system and will be reported to the ESC.
If the proctor detects any suspicious activities or movements, he/she can terminate your exam session at any time and your exam will be invalidated and your fee won't be refunded.
Any irregularity in relation to the ESC Online Proctoring Examinations policies and rules mentioned above can lead to sanctions as described in the Online Proctoring Examination Terms & Conditions.
What if I have technical issues?
If you experience a technical problem during the test, notify the proctor by speaking to him/her or via chat.
If you get disconnected or if you lose your internet connection momentarily, you will automatically be reconnected.
If you are unable to reconnect or speak to the proctor, you can call ProctorU for assistance.
In order to respect exam capacity, registrations will be managed on a first come, first served basis.
We encourage you to register online as early as possible to guarantee a seat.
Registration closes when the exam capacity is reached and at the latest 15 days prior to the examination with no exceptions.
|Fee Types||Online Fees|
|Resit Standard Fee||€313**|
|EHRA Member Fee||€375*|
|Resit EHRA Member Fee||€250**|
*To benefit from member fees, you must be a validated member before registering for the exam. This fee is only available for EHRA Members.
**Please note that the resit fee is reserved only for candidates who have sat and failed the exam in the past: it cannot be used by candidates under any other circumstances.
Please note that healthcare companies or third-party agencies cannot use a delegate’s “My ESC account” or create a delegate “My ESC account” for registering their delegates. Only individual registration is permitted.
Candidate confirms that this is a purchase 'by myself' as an individual, and the billing address is correct. Candidate understands that after payment has been made, changes in the invoice details will not be possible
If you wish to cancel your registration for the certification exam, you must contact us. The EHRA cancellation policy is detailed below:
- Six weeks or more before the exam: 100% refund.
- Four to six weeks: 50% refund.
- Within four weeks: no refund.
- No-show: no refund.
In case of unforeseen circumstances (such as a death in the family, being on-call at a hospital, an accident involving the candidate...), a document of proof will be required, and you will be refunded the entire registration fee.
If EHRA cancels an exam, the full registration fee will be refunded. However, EHRA is not liable for any costs incurred due to the cancellation, including accommodations and travel arrangements.
Requirements for EHRA Certification in Electrophysiology for Allied Professionals
Certification for AP only requires passing the exam - no logbook is needed.
The examination is designed in two consecutive parts of three hours each.
The questionnaire is compiled by the EHRA Certification Committee. It consists of 130 multiple-choice questions, with 60%–80% based on analysis of practical clinical cases and decision-making, with the remainder dedicated to theory.
The statistical performance of each multiple-choice question (MCQ) is analysed and the 10 least discriminating MCQs are not taken into account. The candidate's final score is, therefore, derived from only 120 MCQs. The pass mark is predetermined using a validated standard-setting process.
Exam results are sent (to your email address registered on your My ESC account) within two months after the exam has been taken.
Upon passing the exam, candidates will receive a certificate valid for 10 years.
Candidates cannot resit the exam in the same calendar year.
As skills can only be maintained by continuing education and practical involvement, certification is granted for 10 years. After that period, the exam must be retaken to renew certification.
Appealing the exam
Candidates may seek appeal:
- On the exam day, in case of issues with the scientific content of the exam –
Candidates who have comments or concerns about an examination question should contact the ESC via the Contact Us form. The relevant certification committee will review all comments, concerns and suggestions made by candidates. These comments or concerns must be logged on the examination day with the invigilator for on-site exams or with the proctor for online exams and at the latest before candidates received their examination results.
- After having received your results –
If you believe that an incorrect result has been awarded to you, you may lodge an appeal by sending to the ESC Exam Administration an official letter, within eight days of receiving your results, via the Contact Us form. The result of such an appeal may be a higher grade, a lower grade, or no grade change. Under no circumstance, will you be entitled to a fee refund or damages.
The ESC exam administration and relevant certification committee will reply to the appealing candidate within four weeks.
Reply from ESC exam administration and relevant certification committee is final. You agree to this during the exam registration process by accepting the ESC Exam Delivery Terms and Conditions. Appeals are free of charge.
How to prepare for the examination
- Download the AP sample MCQs.
- For any information on the EHRA certification examinations, please contact us.
EHRA Certified Allied Professionals in Electrophysiology
Find below the list of professionals certified by EHRA in Electrophysiology for Allied Professionals.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)