In order to achieve the above, the committee has recognized the importance
- consulting non-cardiologists involved in the management of acute heart failure (internists, intensive-care specialists, emergency medicine physicians, anesthesiologists, general physicians…).
- building a relationship between different health-care professionals; involved in the management of acute heart failure (nurses, pharmacists, hospital administrators …).
Article of the Month
The Committee's article has been chosen by Prof Hadi Skouri, FHFA, FESC, from the American University of Beirut, Division of Cardiology, Beirut, Lebanon
Intravenous Salt Supplementation With Low-Dose Furosemide for Treatment of Acute Decompensated Heart Failure
Journal of Cardiac Failure Vol. 20 No. 5 2014
YOSHITAKA OKUHARA, MD, SHINICHI HIROTANI, MD, PhD, YOSHIRO NAITO, MD, PhD, AYUMI NAKABO, MD,
TOSHIHIRO IWASAKU, MD, AKIYO EGUCHI, MD, DAISUKE MORISAWA, MD, TOMOTAKA ANDO, MD,
HISASHI SAWADA, MD, ERI MANABE, MD, AND TOHRU MASUYAMA, MD, PhD
Prof Skouri commented:
This publication by Okuhitara et al sheds light on a novel management approach to the treatment of acute decompensated heart failure patients who are volume overloaded in most of the cases. Even though the results are promising, we need more research to prove this concept. First the mechanism by which diuretic response improves has to be more clear. Second the patient population that will be responsive needs to be defined in view of diuretic resistant patients and low GFR patients. Large size studies to prove it validilty and define the patient population with greater response is needed.
There is an editorial comment by Professors Sica and Shah that is worth to read too
|Prof. A Mebazaa, FESC|
|C Mueller ||FESC (Basel, CH) ||G Ambrosio||FESC (Perugia, IT)||B Yilmaz||(Sivas, TR)|
|J Masip||FESC (Barcelona, ES)||J Spinar||FESC (Brno, CZ) ||H Skouri||(Beirut, LB)|
|A Arutyunov||(Moscow, RU)||V P Harjola||FESC (Helsinki, FI)||S Collins||SAEM|
(Des Plaines, US)
|M Banaszewski||FESC (Warsaw, PL)||A Ristic||(Belgrade, RS)|
|S Anker||FESC (Berlin, DE) (ex-officio)|| || |
Mechanical Circulatory Support devices in heart failure - Programme- 27-28 April 2012 Wroclaw, Poland
International consensus on pre-hospital & initial management of acute heart failure - Common standpoints for emergency physicians and cardiologists - 15-16 March 2013 Munich, Germany
- Finalise the position paper on AHF "call for action" of the European Federation of Internal Medicine, the European Society of Emergency Medicine, the European Society of Intensive care Medicine, the primary care physicians WONCA and the Council of Cardiology Practice of the ESC.
- Publish the paper on "Recommendations for admission in CCU and ICU" involving same societies
- Conduct a survey on the impact of devices in the outcome in acute heart failure patients in conjunction with ESICM and European Society of Cardiac Surgeons
- Write a practical recommendation on "organ dysfunction" in acute heart failure in conjunction with ESICM