The number 1 killer in Europe - A need for action:
Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the main cause of death and disability in Europe and accounts for 1.9 million deaths in the EU each year, nearly half of all deaths in Europe. In response to this, the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Heart Network (EHN) are committed to identifying specific areas of policies and public health interventions which can contribute to preventing avoidable deaths and disabilities from CVD.
Structure of the MEP Heart Group
The Members of the European Parliament (MEP) Heart Group provides MEPs an opportunity to generate dialogue, outreach and activities at EU and Member State level. It is made up of MEPs who have an interest in addressing CVD in the EU and in contributing to initiatives which aim to reduce the burden of this disease. Several of its supporters have a medical background and/or are members of the EP Health Working Group but accession to the Group is not restricted to these categories.
Objective of the MEP Heart Group
The main objective of the group is to promote measures that will help reduce the burden of CVD in the European Union and raise awareness of the disease amongst target audiences through a series of dedicated activities. Some of these activities may include:
- Act as a “hub” for exchange of experience, information and data on CVH and CVD prevention between relevant stakeholders.
- Drive the development of political prevention guidelines on CVH promotion and prevention of CVD.
- Liaise with relevant stakeholder groups to promote CVH and prevent CVD. Stakeholder groups may include patient, public health, professional and scientific organisations, industry and others as appropriate.
- Participate in roundtables or discussion groups in the EP and in Member States to address CVD risk factors and advocate new policy initiatives.
- Provide input and guidance on inclusion of CVD in the revised Public Health Action Programme, the EU Health Strategy, other health policy initiatives and the EP Resolution on cardiovascular health.
Funding and Secretariat of the MEP Heart Group
The MEP Heart Group is entirely funded by the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Heart Network (EHN).
Secretarial support for the MEP Heart Group is provided by the European Society of Cardiology and the European Heart Network.